- Varieties of preserving apples
- Picking apples
- The selection of apples that will be best preserved
- Storage and storage of apples for the winter
If it is a fruit that can be kept for many months and can be enjoyed until the heart of winter, it is the apple.
The best preserved fruit, apples can be stored in good conditions until Christmas and sometimes even beyond.
From picking to storage, here are the rules for optimal apple conservation.
Varieties of preserving apples
The choice of apples is important because not all can be kept as well.
Although all apples can be kept for several months in good conditions, there are varieties that are more easily preserved, some of which can be enjoyed until spring.
Here are varieties of apple very good conservation:
- Belle of Boskoop
- Beautiful girl from Salins
- Calville winter white
- Delbard Jubilee
- Whiting apple
- Reinette de brive
- Reinette de Caux
- Reinette de Cuzy
- Gray Pippin from Canada
- Reinette de Saintonge
There are still many others as the number of apple varieties is important, there would be more than 1000!
This is one of the most important steps in keeping your apples.
No need to pick up fallen apples because they are very fragile and they usually only take a few days. We must quickly eat them or make them aclafoutis, a crumble or the jam.
You have to pick the apples from the tree but, be careful, you have to choose them and perform this operation in dry weather.
- Choose apples that are not too green or too green
- While slightly raising the apple, make a quarter turn of tail
- If the apple comes off, it is good to pick
- We put it gently in its basket so as not to damage it
The selection of apples that will be best preserved
To ensure that each apple is free of disease or fungus, a first step will be taken to select first choice apples.
- Spread apples without touching each other to avoid possible contamination
- Then observe the apples for a few days
- Eliminate apples that show signs of weakness (blackening, coloring, browning, stains, etc...)
- Isolate the most beautiful apples, the ones that look the healthiest
Storage and storage of apples for the winter
This step will determine the good conservation of your apples because, under good conditions, you can keep them beyond Christmas, sometimes until spring.
- Spread the apples without touching them on crates
- Make sure the air circulates well around the apples
- Store crates away from light, moisture and ideally around 10°
- Regularly inspect your apples to remove as soon as possible what is damaged first.
With these tips you should be able to store your apples for many months and have fresh fruit in winter.
- Find our tips for grow your apple trees well
- here's how improve the fruit harvest
- Looking for a recipe made from apples, it's here