The nutmegor (Myristica fragrans)is the core from the fruit of nutmeg, an exotic condiment of the Myristicaceae family, native to Indonesia.
It was in the Middle Ages that it was discovered in Europe. It is known for many virtues and health benefits.
- Discover: all our plants and health sheets
Nutmeg and its health benefits
Properties therapeutic and pharmacological of the'Essential oil nutmeg were discovered in the 17th century. Today, nutmeg is recommended in the treatment very many affections.
- Nutmeg is digestive and stimulating. It promotes digestion, calm theflatulence, the digestive spasms and the flatulence, stimulatesappetite and fight the physical and nervous fatigue, the stress and the overwork.
- Nutmeg is famous for its anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antibacterial properties. Nutmeg essential oil is used in massage to mitigate pain lumbar or articular, rheumatism, contractures muscle and sprains.
- Nutmeg is also effective for treating many respiratory diseasess: viral infection, bronchitis, flu, sore throat, otitis, nasopharyngitis, etc. The essential oil of nutmeg will then be used mainly in diffusion.
- Nutmeg would also have a beneficial effect against nausea and sea sickness.
- In case of'inflammation of gums, from dental neuralgia ormouth ulcersyou can do a mouthwash with a drop of nutmeg essential oil diluted in water.
- Warningconsumed in large quantities, the nutmeg would provokehallucinations and disorders of brain function. If the quantities used in cooking can in no case cause such inconveniences, the essential oil of nutmeg should not be used in pregnant women and the children of less than 12 years.
Grow nutmeg for its benefits
- The nutmeg calls for a exposure Half ombargéehot and humid and soil rich, sandy and deep.
- Warning the mealybugs who love nutmeg.
- useless to try to grow the nutmeg potyou would not get any fruit
Nutmeg cooking for its benefits
- In the kitchen, nutmeg is used grated. It is also better to grate it as and when you need it because it loses its aroma quickly when it is powdered.
- Nutmeg is usedfor both salty and sweet preparations. She is particularly appreciated in the Bechamel and dishes based on potato and D'spinach.