- Sowing and planting the pumpkin:
- Pumpkin maintenance:
- Harvest the pumpkin:
- Conservation of pumpkins:
- To know about the pumpkin:
- Smart advice about the pumpkin:
Pumpkin is one of the good vegetables of autumn, with tasty flesh, and easy to grow.
En summary, what you need to know:
Name: Cucurbita pepo
Height: 20 to 50 cm
Ground: Rich and well drained
Harvest: September to December
To read as well: benefits and virtues of the pumpkin
From sowing to harvest, every move is important to have beautiful pumpkins.
Sowing and planting the pumpkin:
Pumpkin seedling can be planted from March under shelter with a transplanting the May, or directly in place from the month of May.
When planting (or when sowing), leave a sufficient space of 1 m on each side to give the pumpkin room to grow.
- Pumpkin likes sunny situations
- It thrives in hot weather and does not tolerate frost
- At most your land will be rich and well drained, at most your pumpkin production will be good.
- Do not hesitate to bring decomposed manure or fertilizer as soon as it is planted.
You can pinch the stems above the 3rd or 4th leaves to stimulate the development of your pumpkins.
- You will have a best production and a better harvest.
For'avoid the pumpkin remaining in contact with the moist soil and that it eventually rot, it is better to put a mulch or a film between the fruit and the soil.
- Mulching also prevents the growth of weeds which is harmful to pumpkin cultivation.
Harvest the pumpkin:
To know when to harvest the pumpkin, you can pick the pumpkins as soon as the leaves are drying out. They are harvested mainly before the first frosts.
As a general rule, approximately 60 days for the appearance of flowers then 80 days extra for the growth of the pumpkin.
- This brings to 140 days is near 5 months after sowing.
Conservation of pumpkins:
The pumpkins are harvested in the fall and can then be conserved several months away from moisture and in a rather cool and dry place.
- It is important to harvest the pumpkins before the first big frosts.
- The best is to store them in a cool, dry and ventilated place
- We can finally freeze the pumpkin for several months
To know about the pumpkin:
Native to North America, the pumpkin is part of the same family as squash where the pumpkin and has a wide variety of shape, color and size.
In common parlance we even use the term pumpkin to describe the pumpkin which is also a squash.
The pumpkin is round and of Orange color while his flesh is stringy. The pumpkin, He is more flattened and its color goes from orange to green.
Rich in Vitamin A, B and C, these fruits also have the advantage of keep for a long time during the winterideally at a temperature around 10/12°.
- To read: benefits and virtues of the pumpkin for health
The weight of a pumpkin normally reaches 5 kg but some pumpkins have reached several hundred pounds. The biggest in the world was weighed at 1190 pounds (record beaten in 2016 in Belgium).
Smart advice about the pumpkin:
Be careful not to let too many pumpkins grow on each foot (maximum 5 or 6) as this may affect the overall quality of the harvest.
The fewer pumpkins on one foot, the better they will grow.
How to sculpt a pumpkin for Halloween
Halloween, the origin of the grinning pumpkin