- Planting of Schizostylis:
- Size and maintenance of Schizostylis:
- To know about Schizostylis:
- Smart advice about Schizostylis:
Schizostylis or Lis des Cafres is a beautiful flower with winter bloom.
Enjoy its beautiful flowers from September to mid-February.
In summary, what you need to know:
Type: Perennial rhizomes
Height: 40 to 60 cm
Ground: Rather humid
Flowering: September to February
Planting of Schizostylis:
The planting of Schizostylis is preferably in the spring but can also be done in the fall. If the climate is mild in winter you can also plant a little later.
Avoid planting your Schizostylis during the summer as they may be subject to heat stress.
Good place and good land to plant Schizostylis:
The choice of location and the quality of the land is of great importance in planting Kaffir lilies. This determines the quality of flowering and the good growth of the plant.
- Schizostylis likes them rather wet lands but she also likes ordinary field.
- The soil should not be flooded, especially in winter, or good drainage is recommended.
- It's a plant that fears the lands too dry.
- A situation sunny is essential for flowering.
Plant Schizostylis well:
A good plantation ensures a beautiful bloom throughout the winter.
- Schizostylis is about 10 cm deep.
- Respect a spacing of at least 15 cm and make tufts of 4-5 schizostylis.
- Schizostylis fears over-drained and excessively dry soils in summer.
- Good mulching helps maintain freshness in summer.
Multiplication of Schizostylis:
Schizostylis or Lis des Cafres is a plant that can be propagated very easily by dividing rhizomes throughout its growing season.
- Take a rhizome, taking care to keep the entire root system of the stem.
- Plant this rhizome in a pot filled with potting soil.
- Water regularly to keep the substrate moist.
- Put in the ground when the root system is well developed.
Size and maintenance of Schizostylis:
Once in place, Schizostylis is a plant that requires little maintenance. Schizostylis even has a tendency to develop alone around the mother's foot.
- Cut the faded flowers gradually to promote the appearance of new flowers.
Watering and fertilizers in Schizostylis:
When Schizostylis or Lis des Cafres is well established in a rich and fresh soil in summer, you should not have to intervene very often.
- Water in case of drought or hot weather.
- Fertilizer use is not always necessary but may be useful during flowering to stimulate growth of Schizostylis.
- A bulb flower fertilizer is quite appropriate.
- In pots, fertilizer is often indicated in the second year of cultivation.
A good mulch on the ground keeps the soil cool and wet and avoids many watering.
Here are the tips of Olivier de Nantois, nurseryman, about Schizostylis:
To know about Schizostylis:
Native of South Africa and therefore of the southern hemisphere, it blooms normally in summer, but having not succeeded to shift its flowering under our latitudes, it blooms with us in winter.
It blooms so late, in the fall, or even beyond when the climate is not too cold in winter.
Ideal for decorating wet areas of your garden, it also acclimatizes to ordinary lands, provided you water more regularly in summer.
The name Lis des Cafres comes from the fact that this pretty flower grows wild along the streams and wetlands of a large region of South Africa formerly known as Cafrerie and populated by the cafes.
Smart advice about Schizostylis:
In late summer, bring an organic fertilizer for flowering plants to make the bloom more beautiful and denser.