- Soil and ideal exposure to plant a Ribes sanguineum in the garden
- Date of sowing, planting, potting and cutting of currant bush
- Advice of care and culture of Ribes sanguineum
- Diseases, pests and parasites of currant bushes
- Location and favorable association of Ribes sanguineum
- Varieties of gooseberry with flowers recommended for a plantation in the garden
This currant is a shrub with rustic flowers whose height can reach 3m high. Its deciduous foliage is composed of pretty bright green leaves whose shape is reminiscent of cloverleaf. Used as an ornamental hedge, the currant bush will adorn your home with pink and white flowers from April to June. The currant bush also produces fruits, small black-brown berries whose diameter does not exceed 8 mm, but unlike the acidulous fruits produced by other kinds of currant bushes, are totally dry and tasteless.
- Family: grossulariaceae, saxifragaceae
- Type: perennial flowering shrub
- Origin: North America
- Color: pink and white flowers
- cutting: in summer
- Planting: autumn
- Flowering: from March to April
- Height: up to 3m high
Soil and ideal exposure to plant a Ribes sanguineum in the garden
The gooseberry appreciates a rich and well-drained soil. An exposure between sun and partial shade will suit him perfectly.
Date of sowing, planting, potting and cutting of currant bush
The currant bush is sown in the summer. For a multiplication, it is also during this period that a cuttings can be carried out. Repotting or planting the currant bush is done in autumn.
Advice of care and culture of Ribes sanguineum
The size is after flowering, you must cut the older branches so that the tree can be renewed.
Diseases, pests and parasites of currant bushes
Red spiders, aphids, powdery mildew.
Location and favorable association of Ribes sanguineum
The gooseberry should be planted in a sheltered place. It can be isolated, in solid or flowering hedge.
Varieties of gooseberry with flowers recommended for a plantation in the garden
There are more than 150 such species of which the Ribes sanguineum 'Tydeman's white' with white flowers and a height of 2m50, and the Ribes sanguineum 'Brocklebankii' with pale pink flowers and measuring about 1m50.