- Recipe from Chile con carne
- B.A.BA of the leader:
- Match wine with chili con carne:
- Words from the kitchen
Chili con carne is a delicious dish made from beef and chiles. Texan origin, there are many variations of which here is excellent.
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 300 g dry red beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 can of corn (medium size)
- 25 g of butter
- 500 g chopped steak
- 25 cl of tomato juice
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. coffee from Tabasco
- Coarse salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Recipe from Chile con carne
A recipe of the most exotic and simple for a friendly meal with friends.
- Soak the red beans overnight in cold water.
The next day,
- Drain, rinse, and immerse in a large pot of cold water.
- Add the bay leaves, bring to a boil and cook for 2 hours 30 minutes in a shallow and boiling place (the beans should crush easily).
- Salt salt 30 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Peel and chop onions and garlic.
- To peel and peel the tomatoes, to seed them. Cut in small dice.
- Drain the corn and red beans.
In a casserole,
- Melt the butter, brown the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add meat, cook for 5 minutes over high heat stirring.
- Add corn, kidney beans, tomato juice, cumin and Tabasco.
- Mix well, check seasoning and simmer 20 minutes.
B.A.BA of the leader:
You can add diced peppers to this recipe and accompany it with white rice. To soften the chili you can also add, at the end of the recipe, a spoon of crème fraîche.
For a chili con carne express: buy red beans and peeled tomatoes in a box. You will be grateful to him during your improvised evenings!
Match wine with chili con carne:
To match chili con carne with wines, the difficulty will be mainly the amount of Tabasco or chilli used.
In Mexican preparationfew wines will be able to cope with the power of the burning; then, to temper the heat of the pepper, we will choose the contrast brought by a slightly sweet and very fruity wine as can be first vats of jurançon.
In preparation where the chili will be less present, red wines, warm and round in the mouth like a châteauneuf-du-pape or a ventoux will go in the direction of the dish while having enough power not to be dominated by him.
We can also prefer to play the contrast at the aromatic level with a faugères which, by its fruity, floral and liquorice notes, will attenuate the plant of the pepper while having the softness and the power of mouth necessary to face the dish.
Price idea (in 2007):
- Jurançon 7 to 10 €,
- châteauneuf-du-pape 10 to 35 €, - ventoux 6 to 12 €,
- faugères 4 to 12 €. M. Chassin
Words from the kitchen
Chop: cut into small cubes.
To peel a vegetable or a fruit (peach, tomato...) after having plunged it a few seconds in the boiling water, to cool it immediately in very cold water so as to stop cooking. The skin then withdraws very easily.
Recipe: A. Beauvais Photo: F. Hamel