If the food is sufficient, the nuthatch stays in the same place all year long
The Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea). If you see a small bird with gray and orange blue plumage running upside down along a tree trunk, that's it! The nuthatches are the only ones to achieve this feat. It measures 14 cm and weighs between 19 and 24 g. Its longevity is 9 years.
- Blue-gray head, with a black line running through the eye.
- Blue-gray back, orange buff belly.
- Chin and whitish cheeks.
- Blue-gray beak, long and robust.
- She likes deciduous forests, mixed or coniferous forests, where she looks for old trees. But it is also found in parks, gardens. She does not like to land on the ground.
- She lives in the holes of the trees, which she narrows the entrance by masonry mud clay. And to discourage squirrels and other birds from forcing the entrance, she coats it with resin.
- It feeds on insects and spiders found in trees, nuts, such as hazelnuts, various seeds and berries.
- She is not a sharer. If she comes to the manger to feast on sunflower seeds, which she loves, she does not hesitate to hunt aggressively the other birds that also come to feed.
- His cry is sound. It is often with this cry that we find it.
- His song is composed of whistles, he is also sound.
Do not confuse... Rock Nuthatch
It is frequent in the archaeological sites of Greece and Turkey. It can not be missed, as it attracts attention, by its cries and incessant movements. She lives in rocky environments.
The little more
To feed on acorns or other hard seeds, it stuck them in the crevice of a trunk or branch. So well maintained, the seed is slashed with its long, pointed beak, until its long, pointed beak, until the hull gives way. She can then extract her food.